Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Tis the Season

Mark Twain has been quoted as saying, “Sing like no one’s listening, love like you’ve never been hurt, dance like nobody’s watching, and live like it’s heaven on earth.”

I remember seeing an upscale condominium community in Hilton Head advertised as “Heaven on Earth”.

I googled “Heaven on Earth” and got the lyrics of a Britney Spears song of obsession.

I remember a wise person once respond to the disappointments of our spiritual journey with the comment we need to remember that this isn’t heaven.

No, we haven’t been promised heaven on earth. But can we experience it?

For much of my life I've always believed that heaven will come because of my religious beliefs. But as I grow older and gain more clarity of who I am and what my purpose is in this life, I have come to realize that I can contribute in bringing heaven here to earth; at least to someone. When one of my children at school need to be loved because they are scared because of things that may have happened that night before at home. When my kids at school need a wink or a smile from me just to know that everythings going to be OK. Those gestures can help bring heaven to earth for someone, if only for a moment. I can share my belief in God in the way I live my life and treat others.

No, we can’t talk about the heaven on earth that is yet ahead without saying more than we know and infinitely less than what is to come. But of this we can be confident. Being in the presence of “God with us” as he lives among his people on earth, won’t be less than the best we have ever imagined… and will be “better by far”… than anything we’ve ever known…

2 comments:

  1. I couln't agree more. There is nothing better than helping a child feel loved. I love the saying, "to live, is to love".

    ReplyDelete